Monday 28 July 2014

Road Ettiquete


All to often I come across people who haven't the faintest clue as to what the hand gestures mean.  There's a bunch.  Common are stopping, Right turn, Left turn.. but I came across someone putting there hand down.  They weren't stopping and almost like they were asking me to back off.  I rode behind them for a while, wondering what the heck they were doing.


Finally, on a nice long stretch there with no other bicycles coming the other direction, I pulled up and asked him "Why he kept on gesturing that he was stopping?" Answer "I was telling you to pass me." So I just had to inform him there are proper hands signs for things.. asking me to pass him, was unnecessarily required, I don't need people to tell him how fast to bike.. If I want to pass and it's safe to do so, I will.  

Looking around, I found this place (No Me At Athlete), which gives description of more handle gestures that I've never thought of. Not sure if these are the official hand gestures.

Lessons Learned:
  • Not everyone knows proper hand gestures


No comments:

Post a Comment