Thursday 14 August 2014

Right rubber for the right rubber job

As a fat bike rider, I've come to the realization that the current rubber (spider tread) I have on my tires is good for trails and short urban rides but when I go for a 2hr+ urban bike ride, the rubber turns into play-doh.  Feels super pliable and if I run over a stone, I get a flat.

So now I have to really start planning for the next spring.  I really want a urban tire, vee makes some and so does Surly.

After a few months of driving this beast, I have it tamed nicely.  

At first, I couldn't go very far with out using the electric motor to assist.

Day 1: 0.4km and it was on.  I felt like I was going to die! Sweating like crazy and over all thinking I was nuts.

End of Week 1: 1km and I started to use the motor.

End of Month 1: 5-6km and I would start to use the motor.

End of Month 2: 10km and I would use the motor just to rest for 5km and then use it again for 10km and then ride in the last 5km on motor.

End of Month 3: I'm at 15km, motor for 1km and then motor for 14km and then motor in for the last 1km to cool off before walking into work.  I'm amazed at how far I've come from day 1.

Every week that I drive this bike, I'm saving $60 in gas.  Bike costing me $2500, it will take me 44 weeks to break even.  So this isn't cost savings adventure, its really about getting a work out, getting fresh air.  At the same time, loosing weight, eating better and over all just feeling good.

No comments:

Post a Comment